It is very hard to find a good lawyer that can help you with the case and is also in your budget. Listed are a few pointers that you should check before hiring a lawyer..
Things to check before Hiring a Lawyer
1) Comfort – One of the most important things to consider while hiring a lawyer is to know whether you are feeling comfortable with your lawyer or not. It is very important to have an open and frank relationship with the lawyer so that you feel comfortable in sharing information or event. A lawyer won’t be able to help you unless you share complete information with honesty.
2) Reviews – In today’s digital world, almost every business is having its online presence. Before meeting in person, you can research about lawyer online. You can check reviews, testimonials, case studies and comments about any particular lawyer online. Once you feel confident that there are no complaints, malpractice allegations, misconduct charges, etc about that lawyer, you can meet him/her to discuss your case.
3) Experience – Besides thinking an expert for your case, consider hiring an experienced lawyer. This is because expertise comes from experience. Find a lawyer who is specialized in a particular niche to which your problem is connected to. For example, if you have property-related issues, find a real estate lawyer rather than approaching a criminal lawyer.
4) Understanding – Make sure the lawyer you are hiring has a good understanding of your case. The lawyer must be willing to understand your situation and your vision for the case. A good lawyer must comprehend the expectations of his clients.
5) Ability to Communicate – Once you have discussed the case with your lawyer, he/she should be able to communicate the technicalities of the case to you. If the lawyer is using too many legal terms that you are not able to understand, you should ask him/her to explain to you in basic terms. If he/she fails to do so, you should look for some other lawyer. You need to know how the lawyer is going to handle your case. Once you feel confident that the lawyer is competent to handle your case, only then hire him/her.
6) Availability – Usually we hire a lawyer who is highly experienced or reputed in the city. But, since everyone wants to hire that lawyer; he may not give enough time to your case. You should look for a lawyer who is available when you need him. The lawyer should be easily available for meetings and discussions and should be prompt in replying to messages and calls.
7) Relationship – You should look for a person who is not only good at understanding but is also good at maintaining relations. A good relationship increases the chances of more positive results in the future.
8) Transparent & Reasonable Fee Structure – The fees of lawyers fluctuates on various factors including lawyer’s repute, lawyer’s experience, case difficulty, case duration, etc. A good lawyer will always have a transparent and reasonable fee structure.